The P-38 Lightning was developed by Lockheed in response to a 1937 proposal from the United States Army Air Corps. Its twin V12 engines were housed one each in twin booms that stretched back to the tailplane, flanking a central nacelle containing the cockpit and weaponry. A combination of superb range, firepower and carrying capacity ensured that the P-38 was a superior fighter-bomber, and it made a considerable impact after joining fighting in Europe in 1942. It was also active in the Pacific War from late that year, its escapades including the shooting down of Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto in 1943 that provided a significant morale boost for the Allied cause.
About the Model
- This is a 1/48 scale plastic model assembly kit. Length: 240mm, width: 330mm.
- Exhaustive studies of actual P-38 aircraft enabled this precise recreation of the distinctive twin boom aircraft form, with particular highlights being early model slimline engine cowlings, wing shape and rounded canopy design.
- Integrated landing gear bay and wing spar parts ensure sturdy assembly and accurate recreation of angle.
- Choose between P-38F and P-38G canopy designs, with each able to be assembled open or closed.
- The detailed cockpit features recreations of the control wheel, bulletproof glass plate, rear-mounted radio equipment and more.
- One-piece tailplane horizontal stabilizer slides on and is secured by rudder components.
- Metallic finish decals are used on main and nose landing gear strut cylinders.
- The nose has depictions of four 12.7mm machine guns and the 20mm cannon.
- Weights are included to ensure correct balance of the model when on display.
- Comes with a seated pilot figure, two marking options and an informative background information leaflet in four languages.
- This view shows off the unmistakable Lightning form, with twin booms flanking a central nacelle, and leading back to the large tailplane.
- Shown in this image is a P-38F cockpit, with dedicated parts included in the kit to depict its sideways-opening center canopy.
- Here is the cockpit area for a P-38G: note the rearward-opening center canopy. Instrumentation and sights also differ between P-38F and G aircraft.
- The highly realistic pilot figure was created using the latest 3D scanning techniques, and seating it in the cockpit will add plenty of extra realism.
- Take a closer look at the detailed finish on the turbochargers. The kit includes two types of cowling parts for attachment in front.
- Parts are included for 150- and 300-gallon drop tanks. P-38Gs in Operation Vengeance carried one of each, and can be recreated.
- Choose whether to assemble this kit with the ladder in extended or stowed positions, with dedicated parts in the box to recreate either.
- The slimline engine cowlings are captured with aplomb. Special decals are used to recreate the mirror sections on the inner faces.
- Landing gear sections feature a sturdy design, with plenty of detail to admire on the depictions of their interior workings.
- Zoom in on the integrated landing gear bay and wing spar section. At the front is a weight inserted to ensure that the model is correctly balanced.
- A full color painting guide is included in the kit to ensure that you have all the information needed to accurately finish your very own P-38 masterpiece!
- Inside the box, modelers will find a comprehensive decal sheet to recreate markings, plus masking stickers to aid with the canopy paint job.
Tamiya Color paints for painting the 1/48 Lockheed® P-38®F/G Lightning®
Tamiya Color Spray Paint for Aircraft Tamiya Color Spray Paint for Aircraft Tamiya Color Spray Paint for Aircraft AS-6 Olive drab AS-7 Neutral gray AS-12 Bare-metal silver
Tamiya Color Tamiya Color Tamiya Color X-1 Black X-2 White X-10 Gun metal X-11 Chrome silver X-14 Sky blue X-18 Semi gloss black X-23 Clear blue X-25 Clear green X-26 Clear orange X-27 Clear red X-31 Titanium gold XF-1 Flat black XF-2 Flat white XF-3 Flat yellow XF-4 Yellow green XF-5 Flat green XF-7 Flat red XF-8 Flat blue XF-10 Flat brown XF-15 Flat flesh XF-16 Flat aluminum XF-25 Light sea grey XF-49 Khaki XF-56 Metallic grey XF-57 Buff XF-60 Dark yellow XF-64 Red brown XF-85 Rubber black --- ---
- Useful tools in the construction of your model
Item 74127 Fine Pivot Drill Bit 0.6mm (Shank Dia. 1/0mm)
Item 74132 Fine Pivot Drill Bit 0.8mm (Shank Dia. 1.5mm)
Item 74134 Fine Pivot Drill Bit 1.0mm (Shank Dia. 1.5mm)
Item 74141 Fine Pivot Drill Bit 1.2mm (Shank Dia. 1.5mm)
- Make the details stand out!
Item 87131 Panel Line Accent Color (Black)
Item 87132 Panel Line Accent Color (Brown)
Item 87140 Panel Line Accent Color (Dark Brown)
Item 87199 Panel Line Accent Color (Dark Gray)
- Brand: Tamiya
- Part No: HC-61120
- Scale: 1/48
Two Simple UK Delivery Options
Royal mail at £3.50, or Express at £6.95.
Full details at checkout.
Some items cannot be sent via Royal Mail due to their restrictions.
We Ship Worldwide!
To see shipping costs simply add the item to your basket and choose your country from the drop down list on the view cart page.
No reviews yet!
No questions yet, why not ask one?